Wednesday, February 11, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP -STELLULA


WELCOME, Naan and her Etsy shop called STELLULA. I love the simplicity and uniqueness of the above bracelet. After reading Naan's interview below, be sure to pay her shop a visit to see her other delightful creations.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

When I was a little girl, I had an annoying little sister (she’s not annoying any more thank goodness!). We shared the same toys and she had the annoying habit of wanting to play with THE VERY DOLL I’m playing with, and I was always told to ‘let the baby have it’. So I came up with a way to not ‘let the baby have it’ - I made clothes for them. It didn’t take me long to realize that I enjoyed making the clothes more than I did playing with the dolls…..and that was how my love for sewing began. As a teenager, the bulk of my pocket money went on books, which meant I couldn’t afford to buy jewellery, unless I gave up the books (to me that was as good as refusing water on a hot afternoon), so I learned to make them and the zeal to experiment further began when people started asking where I bought them because they wanted them as well.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I make the things I wear (clothes and jewellery), so it seemed logical to make them for sale as well. It won’t feel like its a job, but it should bring in the money.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Both actually. Then again it depends on the mood I am in. Often times though, I’d create a garment and find it lacking without a piece of jewelery and sometimes it is the other way around - the jewellery creates the perfect dress.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

An Apple. I love apples and feel ‘half-fed’ when I don’t eat at least one at the end of the day….same feeling…somewhat, when I don’t create, it feels like my creative self was starved.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Most likely crafts parties. I like socializing and interacting with people and sometimes you get great ideas from comments and suggestions. Besides, human nature makes it easier for people to want to purchase something from you if they are being fed for free, even if it is just drinks and finger food. lol.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Beauty and Simplicity. Things (and people) can still be beautiful even if simple.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

The competition may seem great and the market slow. What is important is believing in your art and hanging in there. The difference between those that sell (eventually) and those that don’t is that the former persist and the latter pack up and leave. And never pass up a chance to let one more person know about what you are doing, even if you think they may not be interested. There is just no telling, they may know someone that knows someone that is looking for just what you are making.

Thanks, Naan, for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with us. Great interview!



BLOG

No comments: