Friday, February 6, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - INSPIRATIONS BY KAREN

Needle Felted Wool Sculpture Portrait Bald Eagle
by Artist Karen Clothier


Let's welcome needle felting artist, Karen Clothier, and her wonderful creations! You can see more of Karen's delightful creations in her Etsy shop, INSPIRATIONS BY KAREN. She has a wide range of beautiful creations ranging from her Wildlife Collection, Clothing and Acessories, to Custom Needle Felted pets, and many more needle felted items. You won't be disappointed.

Being a bird lover myself, I just had to put Karen's "cheery cardinal" out here!


Read below to find out a bit more about Karen and her creations.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I had many signs while changing my focus and needle felting just "found" me! I tried almost every craft, always teaching myself. At about age 12, I started sewing all of my own clothes and by 15, I was making clothes for other people. Then I learned to knit and crochet, made many beautiful sweaters and baby things, and I still like to sew, but the needle felting has taken on a life of its own with me, and nothing I have ever done compares to sculpting animals from sheep's wool roving!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


Many times while I was in Quilt shops, I saw tiny bags of wool roving, not knowing what it was used for. Then several people suggested that I open a shop on Etsy, so I did. I listed my Adirondack Ladies jackets and my own designs of Adirondack Dog coats. Then I started looking around Etsy and the first shops I saw out of 160,000 shops were the needle felted dogs, and I couldn't get enough of looking at them, wishing I could do that. One day I ordered some wool roving and a book and I was hooked, and on my way to doing dogs myself! Then from there I taught myself many other animals and birds, and a year later I am one of those talented artists doing what I absolutely LOVE doing.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Wow, to narrow it down to just one aspect is difficult! I love the finishing touches, putting on long hair, or spots, ears, tails,and such! And the feeling that I get when the animal looks as if it has taken on its own personality!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would you choose and why?

I would choose a Pumpkin! Why, because they are really easy to grow, they are a wonderfully amazing vegetable that can be used for so many things, they are fun, and the color is brilliant!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?

Wool felt fabric, because I could incorporate it into my sculptures and wool paintings!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want to give collectors that love animals a variety of medium in which to collect.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Listen to your heart, and watch for signs, go with what you are passionately attracted to and you will excel in everything you create!

Thanks again, Karen, for sharing your thoughts and exquisite creations with all of us. You can visit Karen's shop INSPIRATIONS BY KAREN by clicking on any of the photos below, to go directly to that item in her shop, or clicking on the link below the photos. You will really be amazed at this artist's work.

.


INSPIRATIONS BY KAREN BLOG

FLICKR

No comments: