Sunday, February 8, 2009

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - "DESPERATE ART - MATTHEW HYATT"

Where Can We Go
by
Matthew Hyatt

Lost in the fog, pressing on to nowhere sometimes. This was painted in a depression. With the advent of life's changes sometimes we're stuck asking the titled question. We must just press on even through the fog.

You know, Matthew, I think we have all asked ourselves that same question many times in our lives!

I'm delighted to have Matthew Hyatt as a featured artist out here on DZFANTASY. I like how Matthew expresses himself, not only through his art, but in his descriptions of them. I pick up that he has a "sense of humor" as well! Be sure to visit Matthew's shop after reading his interview below.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Monet, hands down - sitting in the dentist chair, my dentist loved him. I fed on his ability to capture light with brushstrokes. I love emotion and light in paintings. The viewer should be able to understand a sense of light or emotion rather than just looking at a "photographic" image on canvas. I felt like there were so many simple things that hadn't been painted, but needed to be to satisfy something inside me. I constantly think about composition and what to work on next, sometimes working on three at a time.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I fought with acrylics and watercolors for so long, so, frustrated with them, I tried oil because of the consistently slow drying time. I fell in the love with the ability to continually shift and change color and mood and really endow the paintings with quick emotions and a sense of light.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Being able to work on a large scale and really attack the canvas with sharp colors. it feels so good, I can't even explain it.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I'd totally choose an onion. they're strong and potent, you can remember their smell long after. Sometimes they make you cry but they remind you of things. They're often rough on the outside, but have a beautiful inner layer.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Spray paint; I love it's spontaneity even when you think you're going to do something it takes over. lol.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want the viewer to be able to pick out something from their life and relate to it. Like the onion could remind you of mama's cookin, I want my paintings to be an extension of their lives - like poetry.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

If you're trying to be professional, act professional and always strive to better your skills. apply at many galleries and don't let man defeat you. you are given the artistic gift for a reason!!!

THANKS, MATTHEW, for giving us an insight as to you as an artist, and also for sharing your wonderful creativity with everyone! You can visit Matthew's Etsy shop by clicking on Matthew below:


No comments: