Saturday, February 14, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - DESIGNS BY WENDY

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words-Picture Jasper Necklace and Earring Set

by
Wendy Thatcher


I really love how this artist uses so many beautiful stones in her designs. The necklace and earring set above is absolutely gorgeous. Very earthy! Wendy has a wide selection of beautiful jewelry out in her Etsy shop, so be sure to pay her a visit.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I’ve always been a “rock-hound”. As a child I would collect stones from anywhere! Always a nature buff, I was just naturally drawn to beautiful stones. As I grew older, I needed to find a way to bring my rock collection with me that was a little more mature than having my pockets full of stones! What better way than to wear them? Once I started, I was totally bitten and was creating day and night. I have now found a great balance and jewelry is my art. I truly believe every person should find a creative outlet. It’s good for the soul.

How did you decide which medium you wanted to work with?

It’s always been about the rocks! See #1.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I think I find the planning and designing aspect of my work the most enjoyable. The possibilities are endless with my chosen medium.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Not sure which one, but I would choose a fruit! Maybe an orange? Natures candy! When was the last time you saw a child bite in to their broccoli and smile?!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Wood! I love wood. I even use a lot of it in my designs. My husband and I will sometimes pull out the tools and create wall hangings. We will edge, sand and stencil cute little country themed items, and Dave has made almost all of my displays that I use at shows and art festivals. I would love to expand on this but have trouble finding the time.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That nature is BEAUTIFUL. I love that most of my supplies are natural and not at all man-made. There are so many beautiful things that are already out there. All you have to do is look. It’s like a treasure hunt!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you love, and love what you do! If you are not loving every minute of it, it may not be the perfect choice! Try something else. I get so much out of what I do and I would love to think that every artist feels the same way that I do.

Wendy, thanks for a delightful interview and sharing your beautiful creations with all of us! Great work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy makes such gorgeous jewelry!