Thursday, February 26, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - VINTAGE SNAPS & SCRAPS

Time does not fade the memory of him
Mixed Media Collage by Kathy

WELCOME, Kathy and her Etsy shop, "VINTAGE SNAPS & SCRAPS". Kathy creates some very delightful, nostalgia items in the form of greeting cards, altered books, collage art, and a lot more. Be sure to take a peek into the past by visiting VINTAGE SNAPS AND SCRAPS. Very charming work!

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I have been a collector of vintage photographs for a good while, I knew I wanted to use them in some sort of art. I just started playing one day with decopauge medium. I liked what I was seeing and then came to realize this was indeed an art. Called altered art, mixed media...who knew. So I grabbed every book I could find on this subject and taught myself. It has been a wonderful journey.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Again, I think the medium just found me. I really had no clue this was out there and artists had been doing it for a long time.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The process … Usually I start with a photo, but sometimes it will be a word or a phrase. I love that I never think about it to much, I guess the direction of the design just comes to me while I am creating. I am a very black and white type girl, and this is wonderful for me to be able to let go and just create. It is kind of like therapy.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Ok, coming back to the hard one. I would say an orange. You have to peel back the layers, to get to the reward of the treat inside. With my art, I learned bit by bit and I am still learning. That was hard, lol!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Definitely painting. I dabble with paints, usually just enough to make my backgrounds more interesting. I would love to be a painter, and to paint from my own sketches. I do not draw that well.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want my art to speak to someone, bring a smile to someone face. I have difficulty expressing my thoughts into words; it is something I would love to learn to do. But with art, you can just be yourself. I love when I put a bit of myself in every piece. And when someone takes the time to tell me how they liked the piece, well that just makes it all worth it.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Just to keep on learning, use new techniques, take classes. As far as selling your art, oh this one is easy…Never give up. It takes a long time to get your art/name out there. You will for sure get bumps in the road, but that makes the good times even better. Nothing worth having is easy.

Kathy, thanks for letting us get a bit of an insight as to what makes you "tick" as an artist, and for sharing your lovely creations with everyone. It is a pleasure to have you and your work on DZFANTASY! You can learn more about Kathy by visitng her links below.



WEB PAGE

FLICKR

FACEBOOK

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh Donna~
Thank you so very much for the opportunity to be featured on your blog. I am thrilled! So funny to see my words on someone's blog. I am in great company with the artists you have featured and I have enjoyed my time spent here. Thank you again.
~xx~
Kathy

NANCY LEFKO said...

A great interview of an awesome artist and all around great gal !!!!

Jodi Ohl said...

Great interview, I'm a lucky owner of a few of Kathy's wonderful pieces and I can say they are truly divine!! She is a wonderful soul, and it speaks through her art in numerous ways.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Such a nice interview with Kathy by Donna. It was great to get to know her and art a little bit better.
Donna

Sherry said...

Wonderful interview with a terrific person whose art speaks for itself!