Saturday, February 21, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - REBECCA'S SOAP DELICATESSEN

Pomegranate Soap with Shea Butter


Now that looks yummy enough to eat! I'm always amazed at all the different colors, flavors and shapes of the handmade soaps one can find out on Etsy.

I'm happy to welcome, Rebecca and her SOAP DELI shop on Etsy, as a featured artist out here on DZFANTASY. Let's find out a bit more about Rebecca, her lovely soaps and how she came to be a maker of soap.

Be sure to visit SOAP DELI, which has a wide selection of "fragrance oil soaps", "all natural soaps", "lotions and butters", and a lot more to choose from.


What led you to start creating your art/craft

I have fairly sensitive skin and as I've gotten older it's only gotten worse. As a result I started using handmade soaps, as commercial soaps often irritated and dried out my skin. After becoming a hopeless handmade soap addict, I decided to try my hand at making soap myself. It all sort of took off from there.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

It found me really. In college I dabbled in everything imaginable. Photography, screen printing, graphic design, sculpture, painting, pottery. I did not, however, take chemistry and in fact despised chemistry in high school. It's kind of funny I ended up making soap since soap basically is chemistry. But itchy skin led me in the direction of soapmaking and it sort of just stuck.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I really enjoy creating new scents and devising fun colors or additives to make my soaps special.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

A pomegranate because it smells heavenly and has the depth of color and texture that I like to experiment with in soap.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Definitely painting. I always enjoyed painting in college and I have some talent for it. If I had the time and the patience I would definitely play in all sorts of mediums. I like acrylics, oils, and even watercolors each for the uniqueness they bring to the canvas.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That handmade should not only feel good, but it should smell fabulous!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. The best way to gain supporters and buyers is to talk about your work.

THANKS, Rebecca for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas! To learn more about Rebecca, be sure to visit her other links below.



ARTFIRE SHOP

SOAP DELI NEWS BLOG

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

FLICKR

MADEBYHAND.ME

SOAP DELI'S MADEBYHAND SITE

1 comment:

LisaLisa said...

Great Featured story on Rebbecca....I love Shea butter soap. Hope all is well with you this wonderful day . I enjoy visiting your wonderful blog.

When you have time drop by...I wrote a blog on our Muse!!