Thursday, February 19, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - BEADWORK BY AMANDA

U10 Circuit Pendant



I was quite amazed when I saw all the very unique pendants created out of "circuit boards" by Amanda of BEADWORK BY AMANDA. I used to work in G.E.'s Circuit Board Plant in New Berlin, WI, but would never in a million years would have thought they could be created into stunning pieces of jewelry. Very creative, Amanda.

BEADWORK BY AMANDA has a selection of pendants, beaded bracelets, such as the one shown below, and other piece of jewelry. Be sure to stop in for a visit.



What led you to start creating your art/craft?

When I was 9, my aunt gave me a box of seed beads and a loom that she could no longer use. That started the beadweaving and jewelry making process, but I had been into every art form as a kid including quilling, painting, sculpting, candle making, and soap making. For some reason, bead weaving was most appealing so I stuck with it.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I think the medium picked me. Since I started at such an early age, beadwork always tested my patience. I am intrigued by the way beads and string marry in such a way that is both pleasing to wear, touch, and see. When beads won’t work, I usually turn to resin, a second favorite.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

It always the results! I know going into a piece that it will take a few hours, or maybe ten hours to complete. There’s isn’t a better feeling when I’m just finishing a piece and I can get up, stretch, and try it on! I also like the rhythm in creating a bracelet.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would choose a Kiwano. It has a weird name and is a very dynamic fruit to look at. It is bright and full of life. Its outside is much different than its inside. Plus its tropical which is a major inspiration.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

It would have to be a visual medium! I’ve dabbled in silk painting and just love it! It’s unpredictable, but controllable if you know how. Colors flow beautifully together and the resulting art can be worn or framed.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I have too much of an analytical mind to be concerned with conveying a message. I just like to create things that are beautiful.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do not undersell yourself.

Amanda, it was a real pleasure having you out here as a featured artist. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, ideas and creativity with us. If you want to learn more about Amanda and her work be sure to visit the links below.



FLICKR

TWITTER

BLOG

2 comments:

beadworkbyamanda said...

Thank you so much! You are very generous :)

DZFANTASY said...

You are welcome, Amanda. My pleasure!